First and foremost - Never leave your hat in the car or in direct sunlight when not being worn. Do not force dry the hat if it has become wet. The inside leather band will shrink and once this happens it is hard to stretch back to its original size.
Suede Leather Hats - Cowhide split leather - rough finish
- Provided you dry your hat slowly, rain drops will simply brush out.
- Water resistancy can be achieved through the use of a silicone based spray.
- Oily or greasy marks (provided you move quickly) - on some occasions it is possible to sprinkle talcum powder on the marks, and the talc will absorb some of the oil or grease.
- If any heavy soiling occurs that cannot be brushed out then a suede shampoo (saddle soap) with hard brush & cold water.
- Some marks can be removed by rubbing gently with an emery board.
Full Grain Leather Hats - Smooth leather finish
- Protect with a little leather dressing, just enough to protect not weigh the hat down.
- Water will turn to beads and roll off (or shake off).
- Sweat/perspiration stains are difficult to remove, but saddle soap and sponge will usually work.
Stretching Hats - Leather/Fur Felts
- Leather - you need to be sitting down. Put your hands & knee inside the front of the crown & give gradual pulls, try on after each pull to ensure you do not overstretch. After each stretch, rotate the hat so you are stretching evenly around the crown.
Looking after your Akubra
- First and foremost - Never leave your hat in the car or in direct sunlight when not being worn. Do not force dry the hat if it has become wet. The inside leather band will shrink and once this happens it is hard to stretch back to its original size. Akubra hats are shower-proof and include a water proofing solution. As the hat ages the water proofing during manufacture may break down and the felt will absorb water. However, generally your head will remain dry.
Cleaning your Akubra
- Your Akubra should be cleaned by a hat cleaning specialist or using a Felt Care kit like B.K Smith https://www.wildearth.com.au/smith-felt-care-akubras-p-1603.html